Not only did the seals in the lid leak, but the seal between the lid and the jar leaked on occasion too.
I also noticed that the top of my lid was developing some rust. In a perfect world, the milk doesn't actually touch the lid. Nevertheless, it was enough concern to get serious.
Many times, I became frustrated with my contraption. I even considered purchasing a real Henry Milker; but, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I've only given this the college try. I haven't given it the tenacious professional try yet.
So, I went in search of some better materials.
The next piece of the upgrade came in the form of half-gallon canning jars with wide mouth lids. I drilled two holes in the lid, the appropriate size to insert the threaded portion of the barbed male adapter, which was fitted with a nylon washer prior to going through the lid. Finally, I screwed on the hex bushing and snugged it up.
This lid will now fit on any standard wide-mouth mason jar.
I like the half-gallon size to have milk in the refrigerator, but I prefer to milk with quart sized jars. You'll have to see what works best for you.
For the original instructions that explain how to make the rest of this device, you can see my previous post here:
I have all the pieces cleaned and assembled. The goats freshened between two and three weeks ago, so should have cleared their colostrum. It's time for a field test.